All Me With A Couple Dashes of Crazy

Monday, May 24, 2010

Frustration

I watch my kids play and my oldest, 6, is so overprotective of his younger brother, 2, that he is constantly telling him what he should or shouldn't be doing and while on one hand I think it is absolutely adorable, the other side of me thinks that my oldest is almost sheltering the youngest. My two year old is so in tune with communicating with just showing us what he wants instead of asking for it, I am starting to question if I myself should be questioning my own parenting styles. I understand that each individual child goes at his own pace, but I would love to hear more spoken words instead of the grunts and whines while pointing to get his way. Even in trying to give the child options, he will clearly make the decision on which he prefers, but to vocalize it is a complete new story. Maybe I am the overprotective one, that coddles them both to their wants and he feels like I already know so he doesn't have to ask, but where as a mother do I step back? I am being berated by my own mother that she thinks there are issues with my child because he doesn't speak as much as she would like, happily the doctors say he is fine, but there is still a piece of me that yearns to hear him say "i love you mommy" and not just "truck, car, ball, blue, pwease," and the few other words that come out sporadically. Am I the one being selfish that wants to try to push him into speaking sooner? Am I the barrier standing in the way of him being able to communicate vocally?








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home