All Me With A Couple Dashes of Crazy

Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day - Need Help

My sincere gratitude goes out to each and every service man and woman for the sacrifices they are making daily to protect not only a country, but the families who live here. I was honorably discharged from the military exactly one month before 9/11 and while I am thankful I was discharged, those who have and still are serving our country deserve the utmost respect. If anyone has any family members who are away, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I do need help though. I have put together packages for our soldiers overseas and while someone was going to get me information on where to ship it, that fell through and I still feel that these men and women deserve to know that they are not forgotten and that they are appreciated. If anyone has family or friends that are serving overseas and has an address where we can send some care packages, I would greatly appreciate it. I want these soldiers to know that they are loved and respected and even if what I have to send is not in mass quantities, my children (well at least my 6 year old) has also become very proud to make it his mission to let them know that he feels safe and is proud of them. It brought tears to my eyes when my 6 year old said he understood that soldiers were keeping our country from "having bombed ground and people that all hate each other." Wow, I don't let my child watch the news and his father isn't one for following politics or news so I'm really not sure where he learned it, one hand tells me that I should be proud that he is so socially aware, but at the same time I question just how aware he is because I do not want him to know the true horrors that some of these men and women have seen and had to go through. From the bottom of my heart, I thank the families and spouses of the service men and women, I myself do not know if I could handle losing a loved one for extended periods of time while away on orders or in the worst case scenario, permanently. So I thank you for your diligent patience, support, and love to them and only hope that some day as I grow older, I can learn the patience and courage that you possess. I hope that more people truly realize that this is not just a bank holiday, a day off of school, using Sunday as an extra night to party and drink when there are real reasons that we should be cherishing this day. To honor the men and women who deserve it!!!

If you know of a unit, or specific service member you would like a care package sent to, please, don't hesitate to email me! I would greatly appreciate it!

2 Comments:

At May 31, 2010 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Bossy Betty said...

What a wonderful tribute to our military personnel and what a great thing you are teaching your son too! I do not have any relatives in the service at this time, but I wish you luck in your very generous mission.

 
At June 5, 2010 at 11:17 AM , Blogger DVAGB said...

Thank you Betty!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home